Sunday, October 4, 2009

Know Your Limitations


And never appologize for them. I have to admit I am just horrible at this. I want to be able to do more than I can. I am still not used to this limiting condition. Aaaghh But anytime I have pushed myself way to far I have paid the price. Me and no one else. I dont step up and say, I am sorry I wont be able to do that. I feel guilty for not being able to be 100 percent. But I am learning the hard way. When I am down with a migrain from a tweeked neck and really cant walk for a couple days, its me that looses out on life, not the person I am worried about upsetting. This weekend I did an artshow and decided going into this I would just be upfront and explain I had limitations. I would be more than willing to help in any and all ways I could. I wasnt asking to be excused or pardoned from my responsibilities for participating in the show. AND you know what. They were very helpful and understanding and it made it alot easier on me. Soooo, dont give up and sit in front of the TV, there is so much fun in life. Learn about yourself and push yourself to that line. Just dont cross it. It is that ever illusive fine line, but by paying attention to your body, you will learn it.

"Give us grace and strength to forbear and to persevere....give us courage....and the quiet mind. by Robert Louis Stevenson.

5 comments:

  1. Great quote Gail! Today I got out and about in the world and pushed myself. I walked around Michael's for therapy, both physical and creatity. I am now having difficulty getting comfortable enough to sleep. This too shall pass. Good news: I did not 'reward' myself with any sweets on my outing today. WhoooHooo!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Gail,
    It is so true; we often don't want to acknowledge our limitations. You are so right about the price that we pay as a result. Great post. I really like the Robert Louis Stevenson quote too. He is one of my favorites. Thanks.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail
    I enjoyed your Quote and story. We all know what we can handle and its a shame we do pay when we go beyond that. I too suffer so much pushing myselve when I get home from work eachday. So I have walked away from alot of the computer stuff and just make things. Its to hard to do it all once I get home. Have an awesome day. Kath'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail,

    I have Rhuematoid Arthritis. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago. I had two young children and a life....it has been a rought 15 years, but I have finally decided that I can be alive!!!! Not just living....but I still make mistakes. I used to be involved in horse shows, and so I was asked to help a friend and secretary a horse show. 13 hours on a cold, windy, raining day and when I got honme I couldn't get out of my car! Usually two days and I can get back to my life, it took 7!!!!! I was so dissapointed! So, even after 15 years, I still have a hard time with limitations....I don't like them, I don't want them and I am going to sit down and pout! LOL Thanks for this site! I really enjoy your posts! And thanks for soming by to say hello! Sandy @ 521 Lake Street

    ReplyDelete
  5. tell me this is one of YOUR cats!!! mine never so much as posed for the camera!!!

    great shot!

    ReplyDelete